What to do if your business is affected by bushfires

Has your business been affected by bushfires?

With bushfire warnings categorised as “catastrophic” across regions in New South Wales and southern Queensland, it is inevitable that some small businesses will be affected.

Thankfully, a range of programs — such as grants, loans, transport assistance and advice platforms — are available to affected SMEs. Businesses can seek financial assistance across a range of government and corporate programs.

How do I know if my business is eligible for assistance?

The federal government in September activated the Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA) specifically to help anyone whose livelihood is affected in northern NSW and southern Queensland.

If you are in need of immediate assistance, the federal government has a list of available services, and you can access further information by contacting the Department of Human Services (DHS).

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) also has disaster relief services available.

The following are also available to affected residents

Grants & Support for Noosa Council Residents re Bushfire Impact:

Online Community Recovery Hub:

Qld Govt:



What can I do if my property is damaged?

This depends on if your personal home doubles as your office, if you rent office space, or if you own a standalone property for your business.

If you rent, it’s worth reaching out to your landlord and keeping that line of communication open as you recover together.

If you own the property and are not sure if these grants apply to you, call the relevant department. In NSW, that would be the Public Information Enquiry Centre on 1800 222 228.

The Queensland government also has a structural assistance grant for uninsured personal property owners.

The bushfires haven’t reached my property yet, but how can I prepare?

To get started, the Country Fire Authority’s (CFA) website includes guides specifically for businesses and councils to prepare year-round.

If you’re unsure about how at-risk your specific suburb is, check your local alerts on RFS’s NSW or Queensland site.

Need assistance and want to know more?
Contact Holmans today;

Holmans Noosa: (07) 5430 7600 or email info@holmans.com.au
Holmans Maroochydore: (07) 5451 6888 or email infohm@holmans.com.au