Correct your super contributions with SG amnesty
Employers looking to correct past unpaid superannuation guarantee (SG) amounts only have until 7 September 2020 to apply for SG amnesty.
Importantly, the amnesty only applies to quarterly superannuation amounts from 1 July 1992 to 31 March 2018.
Employers must declare and pay their SG shortfalls and interest charges to be eligible for the SG amnesty. Payments made during the amnesty can later be claimed as tax deductions, which are otherwise lost if paid late normally.
The ATO has continued to be lenient regarding payment plans, which can be arranged to better accommodate for employers.
Such payment plans can:
- Have flexible payment terms and amounts which the ATO will adjust as an employer’s circumstances changes.
- Extend the payment plan beyond 7 September 2020. However, keep in mind that only payments made before or on 7 September 2020 will be tax deductible.
Employers can disclose eligible SG shortfalls during the amnesty period for any quarter from 1 July 1992 and 31 March 2018. However, the shortfalls must not have been disclosed previously nor be subject to a current or previous audit to qualify for the concessions.
Applications for the SG amnesty can be processed online through the following steps:
- Lodge an approved SG amnesty form with the ATO for each quarter by 7 September 2020.
- Check your amounts are correct and that there are no errors on the form.
- Complete the declaration to confirm that you are applying for the SG amnesty.
After correctly submitting your form, the ATO will contact you with which of your quarters are eligible for the SG amnesty.
Disclaimer: This article contains general information only. Regrettably, no responsibility can be accepted for errors, omissions or possible misleading statements or for any action taken as a result of any material in this guide. It is not designed to be a substitute for professional advice, as such a brief guide cannot hope to cover all circumstances and conditions applying to the law as it relates to these items.