Correcting a TPAR lodgement
Taxable Payments Annual Report (TPAR) are to be lodged by 28 August each year.
The TPAR is an industry specific report for businesses who are required to report the total payments made to contractors for their services. This report allows the ATO to improve compliance with tax obligations by comparing the payments made by one contractor against the tax returns of the people they are in turn paying.
Businesses in industries such as building/ construction, cleaning, courier, road freight, information technology (IT), security, investigation or surveillance or a mix of these services, are required to lodge.
After lodging, if you have found some information reported is incorrect or you need to add a new payee, you will need to inform the ATO. Instances that need to be reported are:
- Providing incorrect amounts in any of the amount fields – Total GST, Gross amount paid or Total tax withheld where ABN was not quoted.
- Providing an incorrect ABN or name in the payer or any of the payee fields.
- You need to add a new payee.
It is unnecessary to report if the only items wrong are payer or payee addresses or phone numbers.
A fully amended TPAR does not need to be submitted if your original report only had one or more incorrect ABNs or names (for either the payer or payee). Instead, you can correct this by sending the ATO:
- Your ABN, name, contact details.
- The year of the annual report you want to be corrected, the payee and/or payer details that were reported and need to be corrected.
- The payee and/or payer details as they should have been reported, and;
- A reason for the change or explanation of how you made the mistake.
Reports lodged online using business software that offers TPAR can generate amended reports using the software. If not reported online, you can amend the report with the TPAR online form available through ATO online services and the ATO Business Portal, a paper form Taxable payments annual report (NAT 74109) or tax and BAS agents can lodge amendments for their clients.